Google+

Teach kids how to draw cartoons

Have you ever heard of Pick and Draw?

Learn to draw cartoons the fun way!



Pick and Draw is a fun card game that teaches kids (and adults) how to draw cartoon faces.  I have used these cards many times with my students and they get such a kick out of not only how easy it is to use but what a great end product they get out of it.  There is always a lot of laughter around the crazy characters they create.  Even the most reluctant artist achieves success with these cards and a sense of accomplishment.  As well so many extension activities come to mind like story writing and character building.

I hadn't brought out the cards with my own kiddos yet, so this was the first time but I'm sure it will not be the last.  The kiddos (4 years old) had a blast and I think they did quite well.

First we sorted the cards out into piles; face, nose, eyes, mouth, and hair.


Then the kiddos took turns picking a card and copying the shape they choose.  They did quite well but they did need some help getting started with each shape.  I would trace my finger over each part they should draw first on the card and verbally coached them through it.  For example, I would say draw a straight line, then now draw the circles, now draw a line this way, etc..


The end result I think was fabulous!  I outlined each face with a black sharpie so it would be easier to see on the photos.  This was such a great exercise for them.  It worked on their fine motor skills, printing skills, visual perception skills (spacing, copying shapes), as well as following directions.

Fun drawing games for kids that teach them how to draw cartoons

They kept picking and drawing and made a bunch of characters.  They needed less and less coaching and eventually they were able to do one of them independently.  J thought one of his looked like a ghost so he started to sound out ghost and write it on his page.  C then started naming all of her characters and wrote their names as well.  I love when they bring literacy and integrate it into their art on their own.  That's why I just love learning through play.  They don't even know they are learning!  They are just having a good time.

teach kids how to draw cartoons with fun drawing cards


So if you haven't picked up your set of pick and draw cards yet, check out Rich Davis website here.

Learn to draw cartoons the fun way!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more information about this please see our disclosure policy
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Browse other gifts from Zazzle.